hive-user mailing list archives

From Manish.Bhoge <>
Subject RE: Problem importing data
Date Mon, 17 Sep 2012 10:45:57 GMT

I think this is type casting issue with date column. Can you send the table definition and
sample data then it would be easy to figure out where it is giving datatype issue?

My suggestion is to create a staging table first where you dump the data considering all the
column as STRING and run some data profiling to identify how my final table should look like,
I mean what would be datatype in final table. Does this make sense ?

From: Robin Verlangen []
Sent: Monday, September 17, 2012 3:17 PM
Subject: Problem importing data

Hi there,

We're trying to load in lots of data into Hive, however the import command fails:

WARNING: org.apache.hadoop.metrics.jvm.EventCounter is deprecated. Please use org.apache.hadoop.log.metrics.EventCounter
in all the files.
Logging initialized using configuration in jar:file:/usr/lib/hive/lib/hive-common-0.8.1-cdh4.0.1.jar!/
Hive history file=/tmp/root/hive_job_log_root_201209171144_892417749.txt
Copying data from file:/root/tmpdatasiphon/1347875082.txt
Copying file: file:/root/tmpdatasiphon/1347875082.txt
Failed with exception java.lang.ClassCastException: org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.api.InvalidOperationException
cannot be cast to java.lang.RuntimeException
FAILED: Execution Error, return code 1 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.MoveTask
Oops, exit with status 9

Does anyone have a clue? Permissions are like this:

[root@mymachine ~]# hdfs dfs -ls /user/hive/
Found 2 items
drwxrwxrwx   - hdfs supergroup          0 2012-09-17 11:15 /user/hive/tmp
drwxrwxrwx   - hdfs supergroup          0 2012-09-17 11:18 /user/hive/warehouse

Best regards,

Robin Verlangen
Software engineer

Disclaimer: The information contained in this message and attachments is intended solely for
the attention and use of the named addressee and may be confidential. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are reminded that the information remains the property of the sender. You must
not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this e-mail. If you have received this
message in error, please contact the sender immediately and irrevocably delete this message
and any copies.

View raw message