hive-user mailing list archives

From Abhishek <abhishek.dod...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hive configuration property
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2012 13:34:09 GMT
Thanks Bharath, Your points make sense.I'll try this "hive.exec.reducers.max" property.

Regards
Abhi

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 26, 2012, at 9:23 AM, bharath vissapragada <bharathvissapragada1990@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'm no expert in hive, but here are my 2 cents.
>
> By default hive schedules a reducer per every 1 GB of data ( change that value by modifying
hive.exec.reducers.bytes.per.reducer ) . If your input data is huge, there will be large number
of reducers, which might be unnecessary.( Sometimes large number of reducers slows down the
job because their number exceeds total task slots and they keep waiting for their turn. Not
to forget, the initialization overheads for each task..jvm etc.).

> Overall, I think there cannot be any optimum values for a cluster. It depends on the
type of queries, size of your inputs, size of map outputs in the jobs (intermediate outputs
). So you can can check various values and see which one is the best. From my experience setting
"hive.exec.reducers.max" to total number of reduce slots in your cluster gives you a decent
performance since all the reducers are completed in a single wave. (This may or maynot work
for you, worth giving a try).