hive-user mailing list archives

From Mayank Bansal <Mayank.Ban...@mu-sigma.com>
Subject RE: Upper case column names
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2012 07:22:31 GMT
Hi.

No not really, if it's very difficult I will do the hard task of changing the code for my
model.
I had thought it would be most likely a table in the derby database which would contain the
table schema and I could change it to the desired case for variables.
It looks like there is a lot of underlying code which would be affected by it.
Just deciding on whether waiting for some breakthrough over here or taking the hard call of
rewriting the model.

Thanks,
Mayank

From: kulkarni.swarnim@gmail.com [mailto:kulkarni.swarnim@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 8:07 AM
To: user@hive.apache.org
Subject: Re: Upper case column names

Mayank,

Just out of curiosity....any other reason other than conventions to preserve the case for
column names in hive?
On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 6:38 PM, Travis Crawford <traviscrawford@gmail.com<mailto:traviscrawford@gmail.com>>
wrote:
On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 4:20 PM, Edward Capriolo <edlinuxguru@gmail.com<mailto:edlinuxguru@gmail.com>>
wrote:

Just changing the code is not as easy as it sounds. It sounds like this will break many things
in production for a lot of people.

Absolutely - case sensitivity would be a big change. In the patch we're playing around with
we centralized the toLowerCase business in a single method, and can turn it on/off per-query.

--travis

On Tuesday, August 14, 2012, Travis Crawford <traviscrawford@gmail.com<mailto:traviscrawford@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> Hey Mayank -
> I've looked briefly at case-sensitivity in Hive, and there's a lot of places where fields
are lowercased to normalize. For HCatalog, I'm playing around with a small patch that makes
case-sensitivity optional and it works if you run queries with Pig/HCat against the metastore.
It would be a pretty large patch to make hive optionally case sensitive though.
> Case sensitive field names as an option certainly would use helpful though.
> --travis
>
> On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 8:24 AM, Mayank Bansal <Mayank.Bansal@mu-sigma.com<mailto:Mayank.Bansal@mu-sigma.com>>
wrote:

>> Hi,
>>

>> The column names in hive are by default case insensitive.
>>
>> I was wondering if there is any way, I could make the column names case sensitive?
>>
>> I am running a model on a data, the data is now stored in hive, the model has columns
referred in camel case.

>> It would require a lot of effort to change the code of the model, so I was wondering
if I could change my hive schema or anything.

>> Would changing the metastore_db help in someway ?
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Mayank
>>

>> ________________________________
>> This email message may contain proprietary, private and confidential information.
The information transmitted is intended only for the person(s) or entities to which it is
addressed. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action
in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient
is prohibited and may be illegal. If you received this in error, please contact the sender
and delete the message from your system.

>> Mu Sigma takes all reasonable steps to ensure that its electronic communications
are free from viruses. However, given Internet accessibility, the Company cannot accept liability
for any virus introduced by this e-mail or any attachment and you are advised to use up-to-date
virus checking software.

--
Swarnim