hive-user mailing list archives

From <>
Subject RE: Nested Select Statements
Date Thu, 09 Aug 2012 21:08:50 GMT
Thanks Guys, it worked.

From: ext Bertrand Dechoux []
Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2012 5:03 PM
Subject: Re: Nested Select Statements

Basically a cross join. You would have the same issue with SQL.

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 10:41 PM, shrikanth shankar <<>>
This should work

Select ts,id,sum(metric/usage_count) from usage join (select count(*) usage_count from usage)
V on ( 1 = 1) group by ts,id;

On Aug 9, 2012, at 1:33 PM, <<>>

Hi (vers),

This might be a very basic question for most of you but I am stuck at it for quite some time
now. I have a table with three columns :
Describe usage;
ts string
id string
metric double

I am trying to do a query like
Select ts,id,sum(metric/(select count(*) from usage)) from usage group by ts,id;

This throws a parse error- Can't recognize input near 'select'  'count'  '(' in expression
I tried setting the output in a temp variable and use it in the query like
Set totalrows = select count(*) from usage;
Select ts, id, sum(metric/${hiveconf:totalrows}) from usage group by ts,id;

This also throws a parse error as the variable gets substituted by variable. So I have three
1.       What is wrong with the above queries?
2.       Is there another way to find number of rows in a table?
3.       Is there a better way for what I am trying to do?

Bertrand Dechoux

View raw message