hive-user mailing list archives

From Bob Gause <bob.ga...@zyquest.com>
Subject Re: Hive append support
Date Thu, 09 Aug 2012 16:30:43 GMT
Hive has no update & delete statements.

You can drop a table, and that is as closes to a delete as you get.

The only "update" you get is to append more data to a table. There is INSERT OVERWRITE &
INSERT. The first will create the first set of rows in the table, the second will append more
data to the table.

Coming from another database, you will have to modify your way of thinking and doing things.
You will have to stretch some of your operations out into intermediate temp tables. We have
a lot more tables in our Hive process than we had in our MySQL/Postgres process.

Hope this helps….
Bob

Robert Gause
Senior Systems Engineer