hive-user mailing list archives

From Mark Grover <mgro...@oanda.com>
Subject Re: A question about HiveStatement.executeUpdate's exception
Date Fri, 31 Aug 2012 15:50:50 GMT
Hi Liyifan,
This seems like a bug. As a workaround, I would recommend using HiveStatement.executeQuery()
instead (since they both call execute() on the Thrift client).

There is a JIRA already for this (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-1450) and seems
like a patch was uploaded as well (https://reviews.facebook.net/D4293) but nothing has been
committed just yet.

I've asked for the status on the JIRA, let's see what they say:-)

Mark

----- Original Message -----
From: "Liyifan" <liyifan@huawei.com>
To: user@hive.apache.org
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 9:47:37 PM
Subject: A question about HiveStatement.executeUpdate's exception

Hi, all. I'm new to Hive, I have a question about executeUpdate.

I executed a SQL by invoking HiveStatement.executeUpdate method. I found that it throws an
"Method not supported" exception.

And I checked the code in hive-0.9\jdbc\src\java\org\apache\hadoop\hive\jdbc\HiveStatement.java,
I found that the "Method not supported" is always threw unless client.execute(sql) throws
an exceptioin.

I'm confused about it, why executeUpdate always throws an exeption?

public int executeUpdate(String sql) throws SQLException {
try {
client.execute(sql);
} catch (Exception ex) {
throw new SQLException(ex.toString());
}
throw new SQLException("Method not supported");
}