hive-user mailing list archives

From Bejoy Ks <bejoy...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Hive append support
Date Thu, 09 Aug 2012 16:01:13 GMT
Hi Sandeep

In some scenarios we badly have to implement updates for our use cases. We end up overwriting
a partition/sub partition in hive rather than overwriting the whole table to have least performance
impact. You need to intelligently decide on partitions based on your use case for having a
least over head while implementing updates using overwrite.

I have scribbled something long back, it can give you some idea on it
http://kickstarthadoop.blogspot.in/2011/06/implementing-basic-sql-update-statement.html

Regards,
Bejoy KS

________________________________
 From: Sandeep Reddy P <sandeepreddy.3647@gmail.com>
To: user@hive.apache.org; Bejoy Ks <bejoy_ks@yahoo.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 9, 2012 9:19 PM
Subject: Re: Hive append support

Hi Bejoy,
Thanks for the link. When you say updates are not supported directly is there any other way
we can update data in HDFS/Hive?

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 10:30 AM, Bejoy Ks <bejoy_ks@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi Sandeep

>If you are looking at inserting more data into existing tables that has data, the yes
it is supported in hive from 0.8 (i guess). You can see the INSERT INTO documentation here
>https://cwiki.apache.org/Hive/languagemanual-dml.html#LanguageManualDML-InsertingdataintoHiveTablesfromqueries
>

>Updates are not supported by hive directly.
>

>Regards,
>Bejoy KS

Update) via HiveQL? Ifsoplease point me at any HiveQL documentation that
explains how the append operations work?

--
Thanks,
sandeep