hive-user mailing list archives

From Abhishek <abhishek.dod...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: High availability with hive
Date Fri, 27 Jul 2012 23:11:32 GMT
Thanks for the reply Bejoy. Backing up metastore.db stored in mysql is the only to provide
HA in hive?

Regards
Abhishek

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 27, 2012, at 3:02 PM, Bejoy Ks <bejoy_ks@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi Abshiek
>
> Hadoop 2.0/CDH4 has HA on hdfs level so this HA would be available to all clients of
hdfs like hive. AFAIK clients don't need any particular configuration for this.

> However if your question is does hive have HA, with hadoop HA hive also has HA in terms
of data. However in hive the metadata is stored in metastore db and the only possibility that
hinders HA in hive is this db. Normally in production clusters the metastore db (mysql db)
is backed up frequently, but that is just for a back up and recovery mechanism.

> I don't have much knowledge of HA in mysql dbs, but If you can employ HA in metastore
db then you can claim full HA in hive.