hive-user mailing list archives

From Kuldeep Chitrakar <kuldeep.chitra...@synechron.com>
Subject RE: Data Loaded but Select returns nothing!
Date Mon, 30 Jul 2012 13:23:05 GMT
I got it. I am running Hive 7.0 which requires each partition to be loaded separately basically

PARTITION (State='Alabama',State='California'); wont work.

Need to change it to

PARTITION (State='Alabama');
PARTITION (State='California');

This is what I come across. Let me know if I am wrong.

Thanks,
Kuldeep

From: Kuldeep Chitrakar [mailto:kuldeep.chitrakar@synechron.com]
Sent: 30 July 2012 18:32
To: user@hive.apache.org; bejoy_ks@yahoo.com
Subject: RE: Data Loaded but Select returns nothing!

Hi Bejoy,

I modified the load command as below

LOAD DATA LOCAL INPATH '/home/cloudera/CrimeHive.csv' INTO TABLE crime_managed_native PARTITION
(State='Alabama',State='California');

Now data is loaded however when I issue command as

Select *from crime_managed_native where State='Alabama'

No records are returned whereas (I have Alabama record in source file)

Select *from crime_managed_native where State='California'

It returns only California records.

Does that mean only California records got inserted in table. But I see that entire file is
stored under /user/hive/warehouse/learn.db/crime_managed_native/State=California

and there is no directory for State=Alabama.

Also, what happens with rest of the records which do not have state as Alabama / California.

Do we have any documents which talks about partitioning in detail.

Thanks,
Kuldeep