hive-user mailing list archives

From Bejoy Ks <bejoy...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Composite Key Handling in Hbase + Hive Integration
Date Tue, 24 Jul 2012 10:04:23 GMT
Hi Ankit

Have you tried using UDFs to extract the required value?
Something like
substring(key,0,instr(key,'~')-1)

say

SELECT substring(key,0,instr(key,'~')-1) from hbasetest;
SELECT substring(key,0,instr(key,'~')-1) from hbasetest GROUP BY substring(key,0,instr(key,'~')-1);

Regards
Bejoy KS

________________________________
 From: ankit kinra <ankitkinra@gmail.com>
To: user@hive.apache.org
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2012 12:44 PM
Subject: Composite Key Handling in Hbase + Hive Integration

Hi,

I have a use case in HBase + Hive Integration where HBase primary key is a composite key and
the keys is separated by us with a custom delimiter. So basically it is Key = A~B~C.
Now, I wanted to run a query on this HBase table using Hive and group by "A" (and not the
complete primary key). I went through the following presentation :
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:GHg9GMFOZVwJ:assets.en.oreilly.com/1/event/61/HBase%2520and%2520Hive%2520at%2520StumbleUpon%2520Presentation.ppt+hbase+composite+key+hive&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShTyoUXyvXptTu4pMjje_FkaN_j1OK9wG0lclWWsKNjGreLTkk3IDqT16xO8ClqIfzhM69aeU7Gph4kZPxTS-PXvLiWPSRvgS2WEjnvViPJhpM0ItsLaTWq1DRuUgOzKhjSzIlx&sig=AHIEtbT4scO3IdtvLYG3RtLoKN5gG1udPg

It says that this was implemented at StumbleUpon, anybody having any idea if that can be used
by others.

Also, there is this issue in JIRA : https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-2599 which
talks about similar feature.

So it would be very helpful if anyone can give me some idea regarding this.

Regards,
Ankit Kinra