hive-user mailing list archives

From praveenesh kumar <praveen...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Starting hive thrift server as daemon process ?
Date Thu, 14 Jun 2012 14:04:13 GMT
Guys,
Thanks for the replies.
However -- I am using tar balls (not binary cloudera distribution) so I am
not sure whether the script mentioned will run. Anyways, there are ways to
make thrift server run as daemon/background process -- that I also agree.

But Coming to my original question --
Why this feature is not present in Hive by default ?
I have used HBase, Cassandra -- both of them have these options of running
thrift servers as a daemon process.
I am interested to know what bad could happen if hive thrift server will
run as daemon process, so that I can understand the risks involved in
running it as daemon process and can proper decision on how shall I run it
in my production environment?

If I am correct, there should be some risk involved if I have thrift server
running as background process, thats why its not there in hive by default.
If I understand it correctly, running thrift server as daemon process, will
allow multiple user to share common metastore_db, which could risk in data
security as different users can see each other tables/data -- they can mess
around with each other's table/data -- Am I correct here ? or Are there
more risks involved here ?

Regards,
Praveenesh