hive-user mailing list archives

From "Stephen R. Scaffidi" <sscaff...@tripadvisor.com>
Subject getting Hive table access times
Date Thu, 28 Jun 2012 13:28:00 GMT
I've written some code where I am trying to get the atime of my tables
in Hive. It's fairly simple - the method call in question is simply:

   int atime = htable.getLastAccessTime();

Where htable is an otherwise normal
org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.api.Table object.

The question is this: does hive or hadoop store the atime of the table
in some metadata or does it rely on the filesystem?

I ask this because I am getting 0 as the value for every table in my
cluster, and have just realized that the filesystem is mounted with noatime!

A secondary question is - if I can not get the atime using this API
call, is there another way to find out when a table was last accessed? How?