hive-user mailing list archives

From Bejoy Ks <bejoy...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Compressed data storage in HDFS - Error
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2012 09:48:55 GMT
Hi Sreenath

The default compression codec used in hadoop is
org.apache.hadoop.io.compress.DefaultCodec

To use gzip as compression
mapred.output.compress=truemapred.output.compression.codec=org.apache.hadoop.io.compress.GzipCodec

Regards
Bejoy KS

________________________________
 From: Sreenath Menon <sreenathmenon5@gmail.com>
To: user@hive.apache.org
Sent: Wednesday, June 6, 2012 3:08 PM
Subject: Re: Compressed data storage in HDFS - Error

Thanks for the response.
1)How do I use the Gz compression and does it come with Hadoop. Or else how do I build a compression
method for using in Hive. I would like to run evaluation across compression methods.
What is the default compression used in Hadoop.

2)Kindly bear with me if this question is stupid. I am not talking about
 compression within intermediate steps. Storing the raw data in
compressed format, how can this be useful since data needs to be decompressed for executing
a job...wright?.