hive-user mailing list archives

From shrikanth shankar <sshan...@qubole.com>
Subject Re: how to select without Mapreduce after index build?
Date Sat, 12 May 2012 04:04:44 GMT
My understanding is that the scan of the index is used to remove splits that are known not
to contain matching data. If you remove enough splits the second MR task will run much faster.
The index should also be much smaller than the base table and that MR task should be much
cheaper

Shrikanth
On May 11, 2012, at 8:56 PM, ransom.hezhiqiang wrote:

> Thanks Ashish
>
> the query will be split into three steps after index build.
> 1、  query from index table and get the offset.
> 2、  Move result.
> 3、  Get select result by offset.
> So I think the query will be more slow  then no index because it has more step and has
two mapreduce task in query.

> So why index exist? No Performance improvements .
>

> Best regards
> Ransom.

as the region servers in Hbase), so the way the index is basically used is by running the
map/reduce job on the table that holds the index data to get all the relevant offsets into
the main table and then using those offsets to figure out which blocks to read from the main
table. So you will not see map/reduce go away even when you are running queries on tables
with indexes on them.