hive-user mailing list archives

From Sriram Krishnan <skrish...@netflix.com>
Subject Re: HIVE and S3 via EMR?
Date Tue, 29 May 2012 20:32:48 GMT
Currently EMR only supports Hive versions 0.7.x AFAIK.

Russell, you may have to use Florin's suggestion – however, since your table is not partitioned,
you will have to use something like "alter table set location". Note that this will change
the location of your Hive table from its default location to your location in S3. If that
is not what you want, you will have to physically copy it down to HDFS/file system and then
do the load.

Sriram

From: Ashutosh Chauhan <hashutosh@apache.org<mailto:hashutosh@apache.org>>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 13:24:38 -0700
To: <user@hive.apache.org<mailto:user@hive.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: HIVE and S3 via EMR?

Which hive version you are using? You need fix of https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-1444
which was released in 0.9.0

Thanks,
Ashutosh

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 1:20 PM, Russell Jurney <russell.jurney@gmail.com<mailto:russell.jurney@gmail.com>>
wrote:
How do I load data from S3 into Hive using Amazon EMR?  I've booted a small cluster, and I
want to load a 3-column TSV file from Pig into a table like this:

create table from_to (from_address string, to_address string, dt string);

When I run something like this:

load data inpath 's3n://rjurney_public_web/from_to_date' into table from_to;

I get errors:

FAILED: Error in semantic analysis: Line 1:17 Invalid path 's3n://rjurney_public_web/from_to_date':
only "file" or "hdfs" file systems accepted. s3n file system is not supported.

There is no distcp on the master node of my EMR cluster, so I can't copy it over.  I've read
the documentation... and so far after a day of trying, I can't load data into HIVE via EMR.

What am I missing?  Thanks!
--
Russell Jurney twitter.com/rjurney<http://twitter.com/rjurney> russell.jurney@gmail.com<mailto:russell.jurney@gmail.com>
datasyndrome.com<http://datasyndrome.com/>