hive-user mailing list archives

From Patrick Luo <...@trulia.com>
Subject Re: Is there a way to create user account and grant read only permissions?
Date Wed, 23 May 2012 23:59:04 GMT
Thanks KS and others for thoughts and ideas.

I found an ok alternative may benefit others in the same situation. The reason for users account
is mainly for business users. HUE is the GUI interface we deployed for non-technical users.
User need account to access HUE which is the gateway for HIVE. It's not a perfect solution
because user still can drop any table. Maybe can tighten the hdfs file permission with read-only.
Need to test on that.

-Patrick

From: Bejoy KS <bejoy_ks@yahoo.com<mailto:bejoy_ks@yahoo.com>>
Date: Friday, May 18, 2012 9:08 PM
To: "user@hive.apache.org<mailto:user@hive.apache.org>" <user@hive.apache.org<mailto:user@hive.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Is there a way to create user account and grant read only permissions?

Hi patrick
The Authorization mechanisms in hive are not as solid as other RDBMS. A user can grant himself
rights and can then drop a table or do whatever operations he likes to do. There is no super
user(admin) and sub user concept in hive yet, but the community is having plans to implement
that in future with strong Authorization mechanisms.
Saying this if the business users are guaranteed not to play with GRANT statements or rather
not change permissions themselves, (But it is hard to guarantee this when the no of users
are large :) ) hive can satisfy your requirement.
Regards
Bejoy KS