hive-user mailing list archives

From Edward Capriolo <edlinuxg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hive equivalent of group_concat() ?
Date Fri, 11 May 2012 20:05:54 GMT
The main issue with group_concat is that aggregates have to keep each
column in memory and that is a big problem. If The user knows the list
will be small you could write a UDAF like collectset, collect which
puts each value into a list and then you can lateral view that list.

Edward

stackoverflow question is from Sept 2010: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3703740/combine-multiple-rows-into-one-space-separated-string

> Does anyone know any other method to create a delimited list from from table rows? There
are a few methods listed in Anthony Molinaro's SQL Cookbook, but all of them use over(partition
by) method which is also not available in Hive.