hive-user mailing list archives

From Bejoy Ks <bejoy...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Is there a way to create user account and grant read only permissions?
Date Sat, 19 May 2012 05:05:36 GMT
Hi Ranjith

     AFAIK Segmenting tables into databases won't help much as, again the Authorization issues
would pop out. An user himself may be able to grant rights to access another db. Different metastores is
an option, but again maintaining all of them is still a hassle, still you can do it. The fair
solution is only on its way. :)

Regards
Bejoy

________________________________
 From: Ranjith <ranjith.raghunath1@gmail.com>
To: "user@hive.apache.org" <user@hive.apache.org>
Cc: "user@hive.apache.org" <user@hive.apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, May 19, 2012 9:53 AM
Subject: Re: Is there a way to create user account and grant read only permissions?

Is separate metastores and separate hive servers the only way to go here? Or can we segment
tables into databases and then use hive authorization.

Thanks,
Ranjith

On May 18, 2012, at 11:08 PM, "Bejoy KS" <bejoy_ks@yahoo.com> wrote:

 Hi patrick
>The Authorization mechanisms in hive are not as solid as other RDBMS. A user can grant
himself rights and can then drop a table or do whatever operations he likes to do. There is
no super user(admin) and sub user concept in hive yet, but the community is having plans to
implement that in future with strong Authorization mechanisms.
>Saying this if the business users are guaranteed not to play with GRANT statements or
rather not change permissions themselves, (But it is hard to guarantee this when the no of
users are large :) ) hive can satisfy your requirement.

>Regards
>Bejoy KS
>
>Sent from handheld, please excuse typos.
>________________________________
>
>From:  "Raghunath, Ranjith" <Ranjith.Raghunath1@usaa.com>
>Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 00:54:36 +0000
>To: user@hive.apache.org<user@hive.apache.org>
>ReplyTo:  user@hive.apache.org
>Subject: RE: Is there a way to create user account and grant read only permissions?
>

>Take a look at this, https://cwiki.apache.org/Hive/languagemanual-auth.html. This may
be what you are looking for .

mimic MySQL (or other database) to create users with read-only permissions? This avoid business
user accidental table drop. Metastore has table ROLES but don’t see documentation on that.
Much appreciated if anyone can point to the documentation or share your thoughts on this?