hive-user mailing list archives

From "ransom.hezhiqiang" <>
Subject RE: how to select without Mapreduce after index build?
Date Sat, 12 May 2012 03:56:15 GMT
Thanks Ashish

the query will be split into three steps after index build.

1、  query from index table and get the offset.

2、  Move result.

3、  Get select result by offset.

So I think the query will be more slow  then no index because it has more step and has two
mapreduce task in query.

So why index exist? No Performance improvements .

Best regards

From: Ashish Thusoo []
Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2012 12:18 AM
Cc: Zhaojun (Terry)
Subject: Re: how to select without Mapreduce after index build?

Indexing in Hive works through map/reduce. There are no active components in Hive (such as
the region servers in Hbase), so the way the index is basically used is by running the map/reduce
job on the table that holds the index data to get all the relevant offsets into the main table
and then using those offsets to figure out which blocks to read from the main table. So you
will not see map/reduce go away even when you are running queries on tables with indexes on

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 11:32 PM, Hezhiqiang (Ransom) <>

I think if I  create index for one table

When I excute “select c1,c2 from tab where index_col=1”, should not start mapreduce

But it was start .

So how to use a index without mapreduce?

Compact  index and bitmap index all was tested , all need mapreduce .

View raw message