hive-user mailing list archives

From Edward Capriolo <edlinuxg...@gmail.com>
Subject Hive locking retries
Date Thu, 26 Apr 2012 20:40:44 GMT
All,

I use hive locking and I commonly get this error.

HiveServerException(message:Query returned non-zero code: 10, cause:
FAILED: Error in acquiring locks: locks on the underlying objects
cannot be acquired. retry after some time, errorCode:10,
SQLState:42000)

The default settings for hive are:
<property>
  <name>hive.lock.numretries</name>
  <value>100</value>
  <description>The number of times you want to try to get all the
locks</description>
</property>

<property>
  <name>hive.lock.sleep.between.retries</name>
  <value>60</value>
  <description>The sleep time (in seconds) between various retries</description>
</property>

This is not the behaviour I see at all. It seems like hive tries once
and then gives up. What is the deal here?

Edward