hive-user mailing list archives

From Kyle Mulka <kyle.mu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Doubts related to Amazon EMR
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2012 14:55:36 GMT
It is possible to install Sqoop on AWS EMR. I've got some scripts I can publish later. You
are not required to use S3 to store files and can use the local (temporary) HDFS instead.
After you have Sqoop installed, you can import your data with it into HDFS, run your calculations
in HDFS, then export your data back out using Sqoop again.

--
Kyle Mulka
http://www.kylemulka.com

On Apr 23, 2012, at 8:42 AM, Bhavesh Shah <bhavesh25shah@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
> I want to deploy my task on Amazon EMR. But as I am new to Amazon Web Services I am confused
in understanding the concepts.

> My Use Case:
> I want to import the large data from EC2 through SQOOP into the Hive. Imported data in
Hive will get processed in Hive by applying some algorithm and will generate some result (in
table form, in Hive only). And generated result will be exported back to Ec2 again through
SQOOP only.

> I am new to Amazon Web Services and want to implement this use case  with the help of
AWS EMR. I have implemented it on local machine.

> I have read some links related to AWS EMR for launching the instance and about what is
EMR, How it works and etc...

> I have some doubts about EMR like:
>
> 1) EMR uses S3 Buckets, which holds Input and Output data Hadoop Processing (in the form
of Objects). ---> I didn't get How to store the data in the form of Objects on S3 (My data
will be files)

> 2) As already said I have implemented a task for my use case in Java. So If I create
the JAR of my program and create the Job Flow with Custom JAR. Will it be possible to implement
like this or do need to do some thing extra for that?

> 3) As I said in my Use Case that I want to export my result back to Ec2 with the help
of SQOOP. Does EMR have support of SQOOP?

> If you have any kind of idea related to AWS, please reply me with your answer as soon
as possible. I want to do this as early as possible.