hive-user mailing list archives

From Mark Grover <mgro...@oanda.com>
Subject Re: Lifecycle and Configuration of a hive UDF
Date Fri, 20 Apr 2012 17:35:17 GMT
Hi Rajan and Justin,

As per my understanding, the scope of a UDF is only one row of data at a time. Therefore,
it can be done all map side without the need for the reducer being involved. Now, depending
on where you are storing the result of the query, your query may have reducers that do something.

A simple query like Rajan mentioned
select MyUDF(field1,field2) from table;

should have the UDF execute() being called in the map phase.

Now to Justin's question,
rank function (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms176102%28v=sql.110%29.aspx)
seems to have a sytax like:
RANK ( ) OVER ( [ partition_by_clause ] order_by_clause )

Rank function works on a collection of rows (distributed by the some column - the same one
you would use in your partition_by_clause in MS SQL).
You can accomplish that using UDAF (read more about them at https://cwiki.apache.org/Hive/genericudafcasestudy.html)
or by writing a custom reducer (read about that at https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/LanguageManual+Transform).

I don't think rank can be done using a UDF.

Good luck!

Mark

OANDA Corporation

www: oanda.com www: fxtrade.com

"Best Trading Platform" - World Finance's Forex Awards 2009.
"The One to Watch" - Treasury Today's Adam Smith Awards 2009.