hive-user mailing list archives

From binhnt22 <Binhn...@viettel.com.vn>
Subject RE: Re: cannot start the thrift server
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2012 04:02:37 GMT
By default, hive will use derby as a embedded database for metastore. Your command fail because
of incorrect metastore configuration.

I highly recommend you use mysql as metastore. The detail information will be found at: http://www.mazsoft.com/blog/post/2010/02/01/Setting-up-HadoopHive-to-use-MySQL-as-metastore.aspx

It’s pretty simple, I’ll summarize as following:

-          Install mysql server on your VM Centos

-          Create an user for hive, grant all privilege

-          Modify (or create new) hive-site.xml file in $HIVE_PATH/conf/ with

-          Download then copy msql-connector-java-*.jar to $HIVE_PATH/lib

When everything done, “show tables;” will work

Best regards

Nguyen Thanh Binh (Mr)

Cell phone: (+84)98.226.0622

From: ylyy-1985 [mailto:ylyy-1985@163.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 10:37 AM
To: user
Subject: 回复: Re: cannot start the thrift server

thank you very much. now that it's running, I use it to test the sample code first. According
to my operation,(with the server is running) I type "./hive" to enter hive console, but when
I use "show tables;" the console print out some info:

FAILED: Error in metadata: javax.jdo.JDOFatalDataStoreException: Failed to start database
'metastore_db', see the next exception for details.
NestedThrowables:
java.sql.SQLException: Failed to start database 'metastore_db', see the next exception for
details.
FAILED: Execution Error, return code 1 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask

someone says the metadata is lock, so...it doesn't matter even if I can't access the CLI,
but things will be much better if I can check the tables with the CLI and the server running.
Or can I check the database using other method?

2012-04-11

  _____

Best Regards

Andes