hive-user mailing list archives

From "Omer, Farah" <fo...@microstrategy.com>
Subject How to load a table from external server....
Date Thu, 01 Mar 2012 16:20:41 GMT
Hello,

Could anybody tell me how can I load data into a Hive table when the flat file is existing
on another server and bit locally on Hadoop node.

For example, I am trying to load the table LU_CUSTOMER, and the flat file for this table exists
on some other RH linux server: 10.11.12.13. The LU_CUSTOMER flat file is about 30 GB in size,
hence if I move it locally to the Hadoop node, that will take a long time. I am trying to
avoid this loading onto Hadoop node part.
So I wonder if there is a way to load the table directly from the other server.

The syntax that I know currently is: LOAD DATA LOCAL INPATH '/home/nzdata/CLOUD/SCRIPT/LU_CUSTOMER.txt'
OVERWRITE INTO TABLE LU_CUSTOMER;

But in case I want to load from the other server directly, the path won't be local.

Any suggestions? Is that possible....

Thanks.

Farah Omer

Senior DB Engineer, MicroStrategy, Inc.