hive-user mailing list archives

From "Lu, Wei" <...@microstrategy.com>
Subject RE: We cannot insert data to external table right?
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2012 12:17:22 GMT
Hi Bejoy.K.S

I can understand that we can create external table on hdfs, and we can also select/insert
data for the external table. The question is I need to create the external table on a local
fs, because there will be other applications access the data on local disk (and the applications
are not allowed to access the hadoop).

Re

From: Bejoy Ks [mailto:bejoy_ks@yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 7:46 PM
To: user@hive.apache.org
Subject: Re: We cannot insert data to external table right?

Hi Wei
       Definitely you can do it. And infact the purpose of external tables is to manage the
data dir on their own instead of making hive manage the same. It is not just meant for reading
 some already existing data on hdfs but also processing the same with hive QL. In the LOCATION
try out specifying a hdfs dir rather than a local fs dir
Try out the same DDL with the following modification ...LOCATION '/dir/in/hdfs'

And for your question. Definitely you can insert  data into External Tables

Regards
Bejoy.K.S