hive-user mailing list archives

From "Lu, Wei" <>
Subject We cannot insert data to external table right?
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2012 06:34:16 GMT
Hi ,

Can we insert data to external hive tables?

1)    Create an external table
create external table binary_tbl_local(byt TINYINT, bl boolean, it int, lng BIGINT, flt float,
dbl double, shrt SMALLINT, str string) row format serde 'org.apache.hadoop.hive.contrib.serde2.TypedBtesSerDe'
stored as sequencefile location 'file:////home/wlu/hive_local';

/home/wlu/hive_local is empty, and I insert data to the external table:

2)    Insert data to the table
insert overwrite table binary_tbl_local select * from another_tbl_hdfs;

But there is still nothing under the local folder. And "select * from binary_tbl_local" returns
no results.

So I guess we cannot insert data to external table right?

View raw message