hive-user mailing list archives

From "Bejoy KS" <bejoy...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Postgres JDBC + dboutput UDF to export from Hive to remote Postgres
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2012 10:12:34 GMT
Hi Abshiek
       To transfer data between rdbms and hadoop Sqoop is the preferred and recommended option.
Once you have the process done in hive the output data can be exported to  PG with sqoop export
command.

Regards
Bejoy KS

-----Original Message-----
From: Abhishek Parolkar <abhishek@viki.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 16:25:08
To: <user@hive.apache.org>
Subject: Postgres JDBC + dboutput UDF to export from Hive to remote Postgres

Hi There,
  I am trying to get dboutput() UDF to work so that it can write result to
a PG DB table.

==This is what I did in hive shell==

  add jar /location/hive_contrib.jar;
  add jar /location/postgresql9jdbc3.jar;
  set jdbc.drivers = org.postgresql.Driver;

  CREATE TEMPORARY FUNCTION dboutput
AS  'org.apache.hadoop.hive.contrib.genericudf.example.GenericUDFDBOutput';

  select dboutput('jdbc:postgresql//localhost:5432/test','','','insert into
test_tbl(cnt) values(?)',hex(count(*)))
  from some_hive_table

===========end of snip=======

1.) I am on single node cluster
2.) I am using Hive 0.8.1
3.) I on hadoop 1.0.0
4.) query runs fine but doesnt write to DB, it returns number 2 (
http://screencast.com/t/eavnbBHR1x)

I get no suitable driver error (http://screencast.com/t/OipV14n9FgF) , can
some one tell me how can I load postgres JDBC such
that dboutput recognizes my postgres.

Any help?

-v_abhi_v