hive-user mailing list archives

From Bejoy Ks <>
Subject Re: How to use create .. as select
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2012 17:37:37 GMT
Hi Stephen
      You are missing AS in your statement, try this out
Create table dem AS select *  from demographics_local;

Bejoy KS

 From: Stephen Boesch <>
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2012 10:45 PM
Subject: How to use create .. as select

I see hive-31 supposedly supports this, but when mimicking the syntax in the jira i get errors

hive> create table   dem select demographics_local.*  from demographics_local;
FAILED: Parse Error: line 1:19 cannot recognize input near 'select' 'demographics_local' '.'
in create table statement

I tried some variants on the above  with similar results:

hive> insert overwrite table dem select * from demographics_local;
FAILED: Error in semantic analysis: Line 1:23 Table not found 'dem'

If i create the target table first, then things are ok.  But is that necessary?

hive> create table dem(uid int, age string, gender string, dlocation string,
    > children string, home_market_value string, home_owner_status string, home_property_type
    > household_income string, length_of_residence string, marital_status string)
    > ;

hive> insert overwrite table dem select * from demographics_local;

Total MapReduce jobs = 2
Launching Job 1 out of 2
Table default.dem stats: [num_partitions: 0, num_files: 1, num_rows: 0, total_size: 9946167,
raw_data_size: 0]
301399 Rows loaded to dem
View raw message