hive-user mailing list archives

From Keith Wiley <kwi...@keithwiley.com>
Subject Re: order by date
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2012 17:47:12 GMT
I see how I misled you, sorry.  I wasn't implying that my csv data is cleanly represented in
yyyy-MM-dd format.  I was just asking syntactically how to use date functions in HiveQL because
I hadn't found any examples and I used yyyy-MM-dd in my example.  The dates in my csv tables
are often in "American" format, month first without leading zeroes, e.g., "3/31/2012 7:00".
 The lack of leading zeroes and the unsortabled date format make the dates difficult to work
with.  I was thinking I could use the date functions with some other format to sort them (I
guess it would be "M/d/yyyy h:mm" or something like that).

I admit, I didn't actually go to the trouble of providing the correct pattern string in my
earlier post, I was focused on the HiveQL syntax in that post, not the precise date pattern
given to the date function.

So yeah, I'm still trying to determine the best way to sort queries against the date-time
columns.  One option is to read/write the entire tables with a date conversion to a lexicographic
format.  Another option -- my original question in this thread -- was how I might use hive's
date functions at the time a query is performed.

What do you think is the best way to deal with this?

Thanks.

On Mar 13, 2012, at 10:35 , Tucker, Matt wrote:

> I'm a bit confused.  It sounds like you're already storing your dates as strings in a
'yyyy-mm-dd' format.  In that case, you can just sort by dateColName.  There's no issue with
using UNIX_TIMESTAMP() in the order by clause, as it outputs integer values.

> Most of the date functions in hive take arguments in string format, with a few functions
that will translate between unix timestamps and datetime strings.

> Matt Tucker

sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
                                           --  Galileo Galilei