hive-user mailing list archives

From Evan Pollan <Evan.Pol...@bazaarvoice.com>
Subject Re: Custom SerDe -- tracking down stack trace
Date Tue, 21 Feb 2012 23:01:20 GMT
One more data point:  I can read data from this partition as long as I don't reference the
partition explicitly…

E.g., I my partition column is "ArrivalDate", and I have several different partitions:  "2012-02-01"…,
and a partition with my test data with ArrivalDate="test".

This works:  'select * from table where <some constraint such that I only get results from
the "test" partition>'.

And this works:  'select * from table where ArrivalDate="2012-02-01"'

But, this fails:  'select * from table where ArrivalDate="test"'

Does this make sense to anybody?

From: Evan Pollan <evan.pollan@bazaarvoice.com<mailto:evan.pollan@bazaarvoice.com>>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 20:56:07 +0000
To: "user@hive.apache.org<mailto:user@hive.apache.org>" <user@hive.apache.org<mailto:user@hive.apache.org>>
Subject: Custom SerDe -- tracking down stack trace

I have a custom SerDe that's initializing properly and works on one data set.  I built it
to adapt to a couple of different data formats, though, and it's choking on a different data
set (different partitions in the same table).

A null pointer exception is being thrown on deserialize, that's being wrapped by an IOException
somewhere up the stack.  The exception is showing up in the hive output ("Failed with exception
java.io.IOException:java.lang.NullPointerException"), but I can't find the stack trace in
any logs.

It's worth noting that I'm running hive via the cli on a machine external to the cluster,
and the query doesn't get far enough to create any M/R tasks.  I looked in all log files in
/var/log on the hive client machine, and in all userlogs on each cluster instance.  I also
looked in derby.log (I'm using the embedded metastore) and in /var/lib/hive/metastore on the
hive client machine.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious…  Any ideas?