hive-user mailing list archives

From Mohammad Tariq <>
Subject Re: Questions
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2012 09:57:11 GMT
Hi Dalia,

   Hive and Hbase integration is not a good choice if you want to
perform anything in real time.Hive is suitable for batch processing.
Hive is a data warehouse that works on top of Hadoop and provides SQL
like functionality. When you fire a Hive query it first gets converted
into a MapReduce job (under the hood) and then provides the desired

   And, as far as speed of execution is concerned, any Hadoop project
would be a good choice when we have to handle "large" data sets. We
cannot expect RDBMS kind of functionality when we are talking about
Hbase. But, once you are confident that Hive-Hbase integration fits
into your requirements then nothing could be a better choice.

   You can have a look at the below specified links that show Java API usage - (Java+Hbase).
(Operating on HBase columns throuh Java).
(Performing various operations on a Hbase table through Java). (Different
Hive clients that include Thrift, JDBS, ODBC etc). (Hive map
reduce in java). (It
speaks about Hive-Hbase integration).

   You can also have a look at this video -

    Mohammad Tariq

2012/1/19 Dalia Sobhy <>:
> Hey Vikas,
> I want to develop a medical API ...
> I want to ask whether Hive Hbase Integration performance is good or not,
> because I found that Hive queries are faster according to some blogs..
> Finally, is there any tutorials using Java API of Hive and Hbase???
> ________________________________
> Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 13:36:30 +0530
> Subject: Re: Questions
> To:
> hey  Dalia ,
> A: both are good its up to u what kinda data you are processing through
> them, for many row and billions of col you can you Hbase and if you need to
> update data on regular basis then u can you hbase,  for hive you can store
> data and easy to use as SQL , easy fetching and all. for more you can read
> tutorials on net
> hive:-
> Hbase:-
> Hive thrift API: provides you to access hdfs through many language like
> python ,ruby, java and other. its fast and well to used
> regards
> Vikas Srivastava
> 2012/1/19 Dalia Sobhy <>
> Dear all,
> I want to ask a couple of questions:
> Which is better use Hive or Hive/Hbase or Hbase?What about the RCFILe?Is
> there any tutorials for HiveThrift API using Java or even any examples bec I
> am messed with a lot of methods which I cannot understand...
> Thanks,
> Please reply asap bec this part is my contribution in thesis.
> Best Regards,Dalia Sobhy

View raw message