hive-user mailing list archives

From Sam Wilson <swil...@monetate.com>
Subject Re: Asynchronous query exection
Date Tue, 15 Nov 2011 19:48:41 GMT
If you go this route, you may want to use nohup. This way your processes will continue running
even if you lose connection to your terminal session.

Other options:

1) You can write your queries to a DB/Queue and have a process running on the Hive server
that reads from the DB/queue and runs them locally against Hive.

2) You could use SSH and nohup to run your queries.

On Nov 15, 2011, at 2:15 PM, Mapred Learn wrote:

> You could write your query to a file and do something like:
>
> hive -f <filename1> &
> hive -f <filename2> &
>
> etc. to invoke many instances in parallel.
>
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 3:24 AM, Chinna Rao Lalam <chinnarao@huawei.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

>  Hive calls are blocking calls because once the query is executed it will return the
ResultSet  from that result set u will get the results.

>  "hive.exec.parallel" property will helps to speed up the query execution if the query
generates more than one independent tasks. If it generates independent tasks if this

> property is true it will execute the independent tasks parallely otherwise it will execute
sequentially.

> Thanks&Regards,
>
> Chinna Rao Lalam

any way provided by Hive client to supports non blocking execution.

> Also, to execute jobs parallely, I tried setting the "hive.exec.parallel" to true in
hive-site.xml. But this did not work, Looking at the code, it looks like the same flow is
been followed both for serial and parallel execution.