hive-user mailing list archives

From Aditya Singh30 <Aditya_Sing...@infosys.com>
Subject Mysql metastore configuration error.
Date Tue, 22 Nov 2011 05:55:12 GMT
Hi Everybody,
                                I am using Apache's Hadoop-0.20.2 and Apache's Hive-0.7.0.
I have a 2 node cluster. One Redhat Linux 6.0(Hadoop Server) and other Windows 7 using Cygwin.
The Hadoop cluster is working fine. I have checked by executing various examples provided
with Hadoop. Map reduce jobs are being executed fine. For Hive I am using MySQL for metastore
with following configuration is hive-site.xml :

<property>
<name>javax.jdo.option.ConnectionURL</name>
<value>jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/metastore?createDatabaseIfNotExist=true</value>
</property>

<property>
<name>javax.jdo.option.ConnectionDriverName</name>
<value>com.mysql.jdbc.Driver</value>
</property>

<property>
<name>javax.jdo.option.ConnectionUserName</name>
<value>hiveuser</value>
</property>

<property>
<name>javax.jdo.option.ConnectionPassword</name>
<value>hiveuser</value>
</property>

<property>
  <name>datanucleus.autoCreateSchema</name>
  <value>false</value>
</property>

<property>
  <name>datanucleus.fixedDatastore</name>
  <value>true</value>
</property>

I created the DB and hiveuser in mysql using following commands:
mysql> CREATE DATABASE metastore;
mysql> USE metastore;
mysql> SOURCE /usr/local/hive/scripts/metastore/upgrade/mysql/hive-schema-0.7.0.mysql.sql;

mysql> CREATE USER 'hiveuser'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'hiveuser';
mysql> GRANT ALL ON metastore.* TO 'hiveuser'@'%';

I created a table using the following command on hive:
hive> Create table abcd(ab int, cd string) row format delimited fields terminated by '#'
stored as textfile;

Then I created a file abcddata.txt containing the following data
11#aa
22#bb
33#cc

Then I loaded this data into table abcd using :
Hive> Load sata local inpath 'path/to/abcd.txt' into table abcd;

Now when I execute "select * from abcd" it runs successfully and shows the data in abcd.
But if I run "select ab from abcd" or " select * from abcd where cd='aa'" it returns error:

FAILED: Execution Error, return code 2 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.MapRedTask

In the logs I found:
Caused by: java.util.NoSuchElementException
        at java.util.Vector.lastElement(Vector.java:456)
        at com.sun.beans.ObjectHandler.lastExp(ObjectHandler.java:134)
        at com.sun.beans.ObjectHandler.dequeueResult(ObjectHandler.java:138)
        at java.beans.XMLDecoder.readObject(XMLDecoder.java:201)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.Utilities.deserializeMapRedWork(Utilities.java:462)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.Utilities.getMapRedWork(Utilities.java:184)

And when I tried to access Hive from a java program using connection string:
(jdbc:mysql://master:3306/metastore","hiveuser","hiveuser")
Running command "describe abcd" it returns:
Exception in thread "main" com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: Table
'metastore.abcd' doesn't exist

Then on the mysql server I ran:
mysql> use metastore;
mysql> show tables;

The table abcd is not there. The table is not being stored in the mysql metastore db.
So how come on Hive CLI, when I do "select * from abcd" it shows the data in the table. And
"show tables" shows abcd there. It means Hive CLI is not using the mysql metastore for storing
and "select *" statement but whenever it's a statement that requires map reduce jobs or while
accessing via java program using connection string it uses mysql metastore. It must be some
configuration mistake I think. Please help me out.

Regards,
Aditya Singh
Infosys, India.

Infosys e-mail system.