hive-user mailing list archives

From Tony Burton <TBur...@SportingIndex.com>
Subject UnixODBC and Hive setup
Date Wed, 26 Oct 2011 16:05:42 GMT
Hello,

I'm having trouble installing and running UnixODBC for Hive. Can anyone help? I'm trying to
follow the guide at https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/HiveODBC but it's not
very helpful. I'm trying to install on Ubuntu 11.10.
I've got the Thrift server up and running (I think) - following the instructions at https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/HiveServer
I start the server, it says "Starting Hive Thrift Server" with no further output until the
ant tests run. Both tests mentioned on https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/HiveServer
run and are successful.

I run into trouble with the next step on https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/HiveODBC,
the section titled "Driver Architecture" onwards. I build the Hive Client using this command:

> ant compile-cpp -Dthrift.home=<THRIFT_HOME>

Where THRIFT_HOME is the path to my installation of Thrift (in this case, /usr/local/lib).
When I run the ant build, it fails because it can't find header file fb303_types.h. Any idea
where this file should come from?

Also, when building the unixODBC code (following instructions at https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/HiveODBC),
I get no libodbchive.so.1.0.0 in my Drivers/hive/.libs directory - in fact, the hive directory
in Drivers does not exist. How do I persuade the build to create the hive-related directories
and libraries?

Many thanks in advance for your help,

Tony

This email and any attachments are confidential, protected by copyright and may be legally
privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, then the dissemination or copying of this
email is prohibited. If you have received this in error, please notify the sender by replying
by email and then delete the email completely from your system.  Neither Sporting Index nor
the sender accepts responsibility for any virus, or any other defect which might affect any
computer or IT system into which the email is received and/or opened.  It is the responsibility
of the recipient to scan the email and no responsibility is accepted for any loss or damage
arising in any way from receipt or use of this email.  Sporting Index Ltd is a company registered
in England and Wales with company number 2636842, whose registered office is at Brookfield
House, Green Lane, Ivinghoe, Leighton Buzzard, LU7 9ES.  Sporting Index Ltd is authorised
and regulated by the UK Financial Services Authority (reg. no. 150404). Any financial promotion
contained herein has been issued
and approved by Sporting Index Ltd.

Outbound email has been scanned for viruses and SPAM