hive-user mailing list archives

From Krish Khambadkone <kkhambadk...@apple.com>
Subject Re: Exception when joining HIVE tables
Date Wed, 21 Sep 2011 21:45:43 GMT
Here is the table info,   and the query is "select acctbal, availqty, partkey from partsupp
JOIN supplier ON (partsupp.suppkey == supplier.suppkey); "

 desc formatted supplier;
OK
# col_name            	data_type           	comment

key                 	string              	None
acctbal             	string              	None
address             	string              	None
name                	string              	None
nationkey           	bigint              	None
phone               	string              	None
suppkey             	bigint              	None

# Detailed Table Information
Database:           	default
Owner:              	hadoop
CreateTime:         	Wed Sep 21 13:05:50 PDT 2011
LastAccessTime:     	UNKNOWN
Protect Mode:       	None
Retention:          	0
Location:           	hdfs://localhost:9000/user/hive/warehouse/supplier
Table Type:         	MANAGED_TABLE
Table Parameters:
	transient_lastDdlTime	1316635649

# Storage Information
SerDe Library:      	org.apache.hadoop.hive.serde2.lazy.LazySimpleSerDe
InputFormat:        	org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TextInputFormat
OutputFormat:       	org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.io.HiveIgnoreKeyTextOutputFormat
Compressed:         	No
Num Buckets:        	-1
Bucket Columns:     	[]
Sort Columns:       	[]
Storage Desc Params:
	field.delim         	,
	serialization.format	,
Time taken: 0.213 seconds

desc formatted partsupp;
OK
# col_name            	data_type           	comment

key                 	string              	None
availqty            	int                 	None
partkey             	bigint              	None
suppkey             	bigint              	None
supplycost          	double              	None

# Detailed Table Information
Database:           	default
Owner:              	hadoop
CreateTime:         	Wed Sep 21 13:05:37 PDT 2011
LastAccessTime:     	UNKNOWN
Protect Mode:       	None
Retention:          	0
Location:           	hdfs://localhost:9000/user/hive/warehouse/partsupp
Table Type:         	MANAGED_TABLE
Table Parameters:
	transient_lastDdlTime	1316635698

# Storage Information
SerDe Library:      	org.apache.hadoop.hive.serde2.lazy.LazySimpleSerDe
InputFormat:        	org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TextInputFormat
OutputFormat:       	org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.io.HiveIgnoreKeyTextOutputFormat
Compressed:         	No
Num Buckets:        	-1
Bucket Columns:     	[]
Sort Columns:       	[]
Storage Desc Params:
	field.delim         	,
	serialization.format	,
Time taken: 2.192 seconds

On Sep 21, 2011, at 2:10 PM, Ayon Sinha wrote:

> If you can share details of your tables and query we might be able to help. Do a desc
formatted <tablename>

> -Ayon
> See My Photos on Flickr
> Also check out my Blog for answers to commonly asked questions.

WHERE clause.  "SELECT *" from any individual table seems to work fine.  Any idea what is
missing here.  I am on hive version hive-0.7.0-cdh3u0.