hive-user mailing list archives

From Adriaan Tijsseling <adri...@tijsseling.com>
Subject \x01 considered harmful
Date Thu, 22 Sep 2011 10:09:06 GMT
I've been having problems getting data properly into something like
CREATE TABLE raw(a string, b string, c string) ROW FORMAT DELIMITED FIELDS TERMINATED BY '\001'
STORED AS TEXTFILE;
using a script for the INSERT OVERWRITE call.

Only column a data would be filled. The problems whent away when I switched using '\t' as
the field delimiter. Is there a known issue with using non-standard field delimiters? I checked
the data being inserted by the script, but the \001 delimiters were properly used. Is it possible
hive can handle these delimiters internally, but uses some processing on data returned by
scripts that would render them useless?

Adriaan