hive-user mailing list archives

From Mark Grover <mgro...@oanda.com>
Subject Best practices for storing data on Hive
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2011 17:18:58 GMT
Hello folks,
I am fairly new to Hive and am wondering if you could share some of the best practices for
storing/querying data with Hive.

Here is an example of the problem I am trying to solve.

The traffic to our website is logged in files that contain information about clicks from various
users.
Simplified, the log file looks like:
t_1, ip_1, userid_1
t_2, ip_2, userid_2
t_3, ip_3, userid_3

where t_i represents time of the click, ip_i represents ip address where the click originated
from, and userid_i represents the user ID of the user.

Since the clicks are logged on an ongoing basis, partitioning our Hive table by day seemed
like the obvious choice. Every night we upload the data from the previous day into a new partition.

However, we would also want the capability to find all log lines corresponding to a particular
user. With our present partitioning scheme, all day partitions are searched for that user
ID but this takes a long time. I am looking for ideas/suggestions/thoughts/comments on how
to reduce this time.

As a solution, I am thinking that perhaps we could have 2 independent tables, one which stores
data partitioned by day and the other partitioned by userId. With the second table partitioned
by userId, I will have to find some way of maintaining the partitions since Hive doesn't support
appending of files. Also, this seems suboptimal, since we are doubling that the amount of
data that we store. What do you folks think of this idea?

Do you have any other suggestions on how we can approach this problem?

What have other people in similar situations done? Please share.

Thank you in advance!
Mark