hive-user mailing list archives

From Amareshwari Sri Ramadasu <amar...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Hive or pig for sequential iterations like those using foreach
Date Mon, 08 Aug 2011 11:44:21 GMT
You can have a look at typical use cases of Pig and Hive here http://developer.yahoo.com/blogs/hadoop/posts/2010/08/pig_and_hive_at_yahoo/

Thanks
Amareshwari

On 8/8/11 5:10 PM, "bejoy_ks@yahoo.com" <bejoy_ks@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi
   I've been successful using hive for a past few projects. Now for a particular use case
I'm bit confused what to choose, Hive or Pig. My project involves a step by step sequential
work flow. In every step I retrieve some values based on some query, use these values as input
to new queries iterative(similar to foreach implementation in Pig) and so on. Is hive a good
choice here when I'm having 11 sequence of operation as described?  The second confusion for
me is, does hive support 'foreach' equivalent functionality?

Please advise.

I'm from JAVA background, not much into  db development so not sure of any such concepts in
SQL.

Thanks

Regards
Bejoy K S