hive-user mailing list archives

From Christian Kurz <crk...@gmx.de>
Subject Understanding distributed Hive server and Hive Metastore setup
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2011 14:53:03 GMT
Greetings,

could somebody confirm/correct my understanding of a fully distributed
Hive setup, please?

My setup is as follows

    * *Java application using Hive JDBC driver *connects to
    * *hive --service hiveserver*, which connects to
    * *hive --service metastore*, which uses an embedded Derby database
      for metadata storage

Please find more details in the image attached.

The thing I find confusing is that JVM2 (Hive Server) starts up a Derby
database instance. I can see that from the files the JVM has opened.

Does anybody know, why the Hive Server needs a Derby instance even
though hive-site.xml says: hive.metastore.local=false ?

Any hints are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Christian

btw,
I have not been able to access the picture on the wiki
<https://cwiki.apache.org/Hive/adminmanual-metastoreadmin.html#AdminManualMetastoreAdmin-MetastoreDeploymentOptionsinPictures>.

("Not permitted"; even though I have registered on the wiki)