hive-user mailing list archives

From Loren Siebert <lo...@siebert.org>
Subject Re: Single Map task for Hive queries
Date Mon, 15 Aug 2011 17:37:35 GMT
Is your external file compressed with GZip or BZip? Those file formats aren’t splittable,
so they get assigned to one mapper.

On Aug 15, 2011, at 10:23 AM, Jon Bender wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have external tables in Hive stored in a single flat text file.  When I execute queries
against it, all of my jobs are run as a single map task, even on very large tables.

> What steps do I need to make to ensure that these queries are split up and pushed out
to multiple TTs?  Do I need to store the Hive tables in a different internal file format?
 Make some configuration changes?