hive-user mailing list archives

From Sam William <sa...@stumbleupon.com>
Subject subdirectories in External tables.
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2011 20:16:25 GMT

I have a case where  I want to  dump data daily under

/user/sampd/test/{date}.

I thought of making this an external table on Hive   so that I   can just keep dumping data
daily.

In my external table definition , I specified  the location as /user/sampd/test.

But when I try to run a query on the table , I get an exception .

Failed with exception java.io.IOException:java.io.IOException: Not a file:<hdfs path to
the folder>.

This is inspite of setting mapred.input.dir.recursive=true;

Is this a supported feature in Hive ?   Any alternatives ?

Sam William
sampd@stumbleupon.com