hive-user mailing list archives

From Steven Wong <sw...@netflix.com>
Subject RE: Lzo compression on Hive table
Date Fri, 08 Jul 2011 01:41:47 GMT
When writing, set hive.exec.compress.output=true also.

When reading, nothing special needs to be done.

-----Original Message-----
From: jonathan.hwang@accenture.com [mailto:jonathan.hwang@accenture.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2011 6:07 PM
To: user@hive.apache.org
Subject: Lzo compression on Hive table

Hi there,
I got my hadoop all setup writing out sequence file with LZO compression.  Using the following:
mapred.output.compress=true
mapred.output.compression.codec=com.hadoop.compression.lzo.LzoCodec

How do I define my table so it will write out compressed data and be able to read in compressed
data during my Hive queries?

CREATE EXTERNAL TABLE foo (
                       columnA string,
                       columnB string )
       PARTITIONED BY (date string)
       ROW FORMAT DELIMITED FIELDS TERMINATED BY "\t"
       LOCATION '/path/to/hive/tables/foo';

Thanks,
Jon