hive-user mailing list archives

From Sreekanth Ramakrishnan <sreer...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Using capacity scheduler
Date Mon, 02 May 2011 03:42:04 GMT

The design goal of CapacityScheduler is maximizing the utilization of cluster resources but
it does not fairly allocate the share amongst the total number of users present in the system.

The user limit states the number of concurrent users who can use the slots in the queue. But
then these limits are elastic in nature, as there is no preemption as the slots get freed
up the new tasks will be allotted those slot to meet the user limit.

In order for your requirement, you can possibly submit the large tasks to a queue which have
max task limit set, so your long running jobs don't take up whole of the cluster capacity
and submit shorter, smaller jobs to fast moving queue with something like 10% user limit which
allows 10 concurrent user per queue.

The actual distribution of the of the capacity across longer/shorter jobs depends on your
workload.