hive-user mailing list archives

From "Sun, Michael" <>
Subject FW: hive/hbase integration with rebuilt handler
Date Mon, 09 May 2011 05:55:12 GMT

Here is more info about the issues I have been facing.

1.       I rebuilt the hbase handler for both Hive 0.6.0 and 0.7.0 by
changing the appropriate settings below to generate the necessary
handler files;

2.       None of them was working and both made the hbase master "out of
memory" (see attached HMaster log) after firing following hiveSQL
command ( from hbase hive integration site ):

CREATE TABLE hbase_table_1(key int, value string) STORED BY
'org.apache.hadoop.hive.hbase.HBaseStorageHandler' WITH SERDEPROPERTIES
("hbase.columns.mapping" = ":key,cf1:val") TBLPROPERTIES
("" = "xyz");

The 'OutOfMemoryError' caused the hamster service unavailable, which is
the final message we saw from the hive log file.

My question:

1.       Is there any documented handler rebuild process anywhere to
integrate HBase 0.20.3/Zookeeper3.2.2/Hive0.6.0 (0.7.0)?

2.       What is the best approach to set up Hive environment for my
environment? Is it better to install CDH3 (from documentation, the
initial release of CDH3 compatible with hadoop0.20.2 and hbase0.20.3)
without patch and copy the hive directory to my prod environment?

Michael Sun