hive-user mailing list archives

From Ashish Thusoo <athu...@fb.com>
Subject Re: Strategy for Loading Apache Logs
Date Wed, 11 May 2011 19:57:14 GMT
you could always have another sub partition under the daily partition. This sub partition could
be the timestamp on when you did the load. So when you run the statement you would create
a new sub partition within the date partition and in effect you end up doing an append to
the Hive partition. The downside is of course is increase in the number of files, but you
could always compact the sub partitions away after a week or so.

Ashish

On May 10, 2011, at 3:28 PM, hadoopman wrote:

> You're pretty much going to overwrite the partition every time you want to add data to
it.  I wish there was an append but there isn't.  We're basically doing it the same way you
are (looking at your insert statement).

> The challenge I'm running into (doing the same thing you are) is when I'm bulk loading
historical logs into hadoop/hive I see heap memory errors appear.  However when I load smaller
batches I rarely see those same out of memory errors go away.  I'm curious if you (or anyone)
has a better way of loading historicals.

> On 05/10/2011 11:56 AM, bichonfrise74 wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> My end goal is to load the daily Apache logs. I wish to partition it by date and
the group has helped me in giving some advices, but it seems that I am still stuck.

>> My "daily Apache logs" can contain dates for 2 days ago, yesterday, and today. So,
what I did was I created a staging_weblog table and used hive (using SerDe) to load the logs
without any partition. Then I ran a select distinct to get all the unique dates. And I converted
this date into YYYY-MM-DD format.

>> After this I created a multi-insert statement like this:
>> from staging_weblog
>> insert overwrite table real_weblog
>> partition ( logdate = '<yyyy-mm-dd>')
>> select * where regexp_extract( logtime, '([^:]*):.*', 1) = 'dd/MMM/yyyy'
>>
>> The above works fine if there is no existing partition. But if there is an existing
partition, then it 'overwrites' and replace the old partition with the new one. The 'overwrite'
keyword is mandatory based on the documentation. But I wish to just append the data to the
existing partition.

>> Has anyone solved this problem before?
>>
>> Or let me ask a general question, how do you load your daily Apache logs into Hadoop
so that you can use Hive to process the data?