hive-user mailing list archives

From Matthew Rathbone <matt...@foursquare.com>
Subject Re: HIVE Server multiple instances
Date Tue, 03 May 2011 18:18:17 GMT
Hey Paul,

I'd be very interested in reading about your hadoop/hive setup, do you have a blog post or
anything describing this setup, or some of the issues you've have with hive?

--
Matthew Rathbone
Foursquare | Software Engineer | Server Engineering Team

On Tuesday, May 3, 2011 at 2:15 PM, Paul Ingles wrote:
HiveServer does seem to support multiple connections but I think it still has thread-safety
problems (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-80).

> We've (www.forward.co.uk) certainly had instability problems with the thrift server in
the past and now run 5 or so instances behind the HAProxy load-balancer (http://haproxy.1wt.eu/).
Since we did that it's been significantly better.

> I think the JDBC server still operates using thrift to connect to the HiveServer so I
would expect it to have similar problems (but I may have got that wrong :)

> On 3 May 2011, at 18:59, Matthew Rathbone wrote:
>
> > Even if it is single threaded it certainly seems to support multiple connections.

> > We run 5 workers all connected at the same time executing a different query each
( with a different connection per worker).