hive-user mailing list archives

From John Sichi <jsi...@fb.com>
Subject Re: hive hbase and hadoop versions
Date Mon, 11 Apr 2011 18:14:28 GMT
Until HBase has a well-defined separation between client and server, including protocol compatibility
across versions, the situation is going to remain sticky.

I think I heard that 0.89 and 0.90 should be protocol compatible, but I haven't confirmed
that.  If it's true, then you should be able to just use Hive 0.7 as is (with the 0.89 jars)
against an HBase 0.90 cluster.

If that's not true, then follow the procedure described in the wiki page to rebuild Hive from
source after editing ivy/libraries.properties to change the hbase.version property.

I'm not sure about the Hadoop append part; maybe someone else knows the answer regarding the
Hive/HBase dependencies there.

JVS

On Apr 10, 2011, at 9:49 AM, <hive1@gmx.de>
 wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am using the hive/hbase integration (which is a great feature) on a standalone one
machine environment. For production I set up a hadoop cluster and now hbase. Here
> http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hive/HBaseIntegration
> I read I should use hbase 0.89.
> And here
> http://hbase.apache.org/book/notsoquick.html
> its written you must use "the sync-supporting Hadoop jar".
> Does the following setup will work?
> I chose hbase 0.90 (I couldn't find 0.89). Because of the sync-supporting I would take
the hadoop-core-0.20-append.jar from hbase 0.90 release and replace the hadoop jars in my
hadoop installations with that. The hbase 0.90 jar I will replace with the 0.89 jar from the
hive 0.7.0 release. Will it come to compatibility trouble with this version setup? And what
about stability and version updates in future...