hive-user mailing list archives

From Appan Thirumaligai <athirumali...@ngmoco.com>
Subject Re: Hive & MS SQL Server
Date Mon, 28 Mar 2011 16:16:50 GMT
Andy,

Here is a short term work around - If your goal is to backup data in SQL Server just copy
the data out of hadoop and import it into SQL (DTS / BCP/SSIS based on which version you are
in). Email Viral (I guess he is still active in the email list) and I'm sure he is using Hive,
Hadoop & SQL Server.

Thanks,
Appan

On Mar 25, 2011, at 1:59 AM, shared mailinglists wrote:

> Good Morning,
>
> Our DBA's created a new schema associated with the database and then made that the default
schema for our hive user, unfortunately this resulted in the same problem in the logs…

> “Check of existence of COLUMNS returned table type of VIEW”
>

> … in that Hive still sees the default SQL Server COLUMNS view and therefore does create
its own COLUMNS table.

> Is there any way we can configure Hive to use a different table name or any other approaches
we could try ?

> Many thanks,
>

> Andy.

> Hi Carl,
>
> Many thanks for your suggestions I will put these to our DBAs and see if we can disable
the default schema :-) Will post back soon.

> Cheers & thanks for the rapid replies guys,
>
> Andy.
>

> On 24 March 2011 17:12, Carl Steinbach <carl@cloudera.com> wrote:
> Hi Andy,
>
> From what I understand SQLServer has the notion of a "default schema" (usually dbo) which
is used to resolve identifiers that are not defined in a user's current schema. I think you
need to either undefine the default schema for your metastore user account, or else make it
point to the metastore schema.