hive-user mailing list archives

From Bejoy Ks <bejoy...@yahoo.com>
Subject Date function unix_timestamp() with input values null doen't work as desired
Date Fri, 04 Mar 2011 15:13:50 GMT
Hi Everyone
    I'm facing an issue with hive on a relatively  larger query which involves
joins on six hive tables. My query is running fine without any errors, all the
map reduce jobs run to completion but unfortunately it is not showing up any
results. I tried debugging the query and to investigate the root cause, When i
removed one of the last conditions from the query it is showing up results, this
is the condition I removed
and ((unix_timestamp(r4.flight_datetime) <= unix_timestamp(r8.removal_datetime
))or  R8.REMOVAL_DATETIME IS NULL)
I have used a similar comparison operation within my working query on dates
using the unix_timestamp method which is working as desired. But here it is not,
I'm assuming this would be due to the fact that r8.removal_datetime has null
values hence here the evaluation would happen against a valid unix stamp and
null.
ie (unix_timestamp(r4.flight_datetime) <= unix_timestamp(r8.removal_datetime ))
would inturn lead to  valid timestamp<= NULL

Has any one faced similar situations before? How can i get around this hurdle?
Please advise.

Regards
Bejoy.K.S