hive-user mailing list archives

From John Sichi <jsi...@fb.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Sponsoring Howl as an Apache Incubator project
Date Fri, 04 Feb 2011 02:07:50 GMT
Got it, thanks for the correction.

JVS

On Feb 3, 2011, at 4:56 PM, Alex Boisvert wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> Just to clarify where I was going with my line of questioning.   There's no Apache policy
that prevents dependencies on incubator project, whether it's releases, snapshots or even
home-made hacked-together packaging of an incubator project.    It's been done before and
as long as the incubator code's IP has been cleared and the packaging isn't represented as
an official release if it isn't so, there's no wrong in doing that.

> Now, whether the project choses to use and release with an incubator dependency is a
matter of judgment (and ultimately a vote by committers if there is no consensus).   I just
wanted to make sure there were no incorrect assumptions made.

> alex
>

> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 4:07 PM, John Sichi <jsichi@fb.com> wrote:
> I was going off of what I read in HADOOP-3676 (which lacks a reference as well).  But
I guess if a release can be made from the incubator, then it's not a blocker.

> JVS
>
> On Feb 3, 2011, at 3:29 PM, Alex Boisvert wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 11:38 AM, John Sichi <jsichi@fb.com> wrote:
> > Besides the fact that the refactoring required is significant, I don't think this
is possible to do quickly since:

> > 1) Hive (unlike Pig) requires a metastore
> >
> > 2) Hive releases can't depend on an incubator project
> >
> > I'm not sure what you mean by "can't depend on an incubator project" here.  AFAIK,
there is no policy at Apache that projects should not depend on incubator projects.  Can you
clarify what you mean and why you think such a restriction exists?